SEARCH
Tynax ~ Patent Library

Patent for Sale:

Power Saving for Display Devices    

This invention can reduce power consumption of LCD devices by about 50% by using new color filter technology, so power of smart phones/touch pads with LCD will be doubled

Overview

Most color LCD panels utilize the white light source, e.g. white cold cathode fluorescent lamps or white light emitting diodes (LED), combined with the color filters to generate three primary color lights, i.e. red, green and blue lights, which are delicately mixed to form any desired color to be displayed. However, the conventional or current color filters for the color LCD panels consist of red, green and blue pigments (or dyes). When the white light from the back light source passes through these color filters, only roughly one third (practically 30%) of light comes out, and the rest two third of light are absorbed by these pigments. That is, only 30% of light is utilized, and the other 70% of light is wasted to generate the undesired heat in the conventional or current color filters.

In contrast, in the available technology with the light recycling mechanism provided here, each color filter in each color sub-pixel is made of transparent materials without absorption of light, and is designed as an optical filter able to allow a desired primary color light to pass and to reflect the undesired complementary color light without absorption back to the back light module. The reflected complementary color light by that color sub-pixel can be reflected back to the color filters by a light guide plate or a reflection film inside the back light module, and then can be recycled and used by the other color filters in the neighboring color sub-pixels. Through this light recycling mechanism, the light utilization rate can be raised from 30% for the conventional or current color filters up to 50% or even higher for this color filter technology. Therefore, the power consumption of a color display panel can be reduced by almost 50% by employing this color filter technology provided here.

Primary Application of the Technology

The color filter technology provided here can be applied to any color display device in whichever the white light source is used. The technological categories of the suitable applications of this color filter technology include LCDs, electrical wetting displays, etc. The markets of the suitable applications of this color filter technology include smart phones, LCD TV, LCD monitor, tablet PC, laptop computer, LCD digital frame, e-paper, e-book as long as a white light source is used for color displays, e.g. LCD, with the great advantage of reducing the power consumption of these display panels by almost 50%.

People use smart phones or touch pads by looking at the information on the LCD screens often, and consequently the power of the batteries runs out fast after usage of only a few hours. People expect their smart phones or tablets to be able to withstand longer use before recharging the battery, and these products would definitely benefit from the use of the technology of this patent.

The Problem Solved by the Technology

Currently, the color filters in the LCD panels only utilize about 30% of light from the back white light source, and the other 70% of light is wasted through generating undesired heat. The color filter technology in the patent can boost the light utilization rate from 30% up to 60 % or even higher so that the power consumption of the LCD panel can be reduced by about 50%.

How the Technology Solves the Problem

The color filter technology in this patent utilizes the light recycling mechanism. Each color filter in each color sub-pixel is made of transparent materials without absorption of light, and is designed as an optical filter able to allow a desired primary color light to pass and to reflect the undesired complementary color light without absorption back to the back light module. The reflected complementary color light by that color sub-pixel can be reflected back to the color filters by a light guide plate or a reflection film inside the back light module, and then can be recycled and utilized by the other color filters in the neighboring color sub-pixels. Through this light recycling mechanism, the light utilization rate can be raised from 30% for the conventional or current color filters up to 60% or even higher for this color filter technology. Therefore, the power consumption of a color display panel can be reduced by almost 50% by employing this color filter technology provided here.

Competitive Advantage

The power consumption of the LCD panel can be reduced by about 50% by using the color filter technology in this patent, so that the power of the portable devices with LCD panels, e.g. smart phones, tablets, can last almost twice as long before recharging.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is any expensive investment on the machine or factory required to manufacture these color filters?

Answer: Only non-expensive ink-jet printing machine is required and installed into the current LCD factory.

Patent Summary

U.S. Patent Classes & Classifications Covered in this listing:

Class 349: Liquid Crystal Cells, Elements And Systems

Cells, elements, and systems which include molecules of a material having both liquid and crystalline properties. Included in this class are those which have a significant liquid crystal cell detail or liquid crystal response or properties, and in which the liquid crystal controls or changes the optical properties of electromagnetic radiation such as direction, phase, amplitude, frequency, or polarization state. This class also provides for nominal manufacturing methods for producing significant liquid crystal cell structure.

Subclass 106: Color filter
Subclass 107: With different liquid crystal thickness for each color of filter
Subclass 108: With plural colors for each display element (i.e., each pixel or segment)